Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Another day, another triple-feature of Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket and Platoon playing nightly in 3-D with surround sound.

I love to talk to people. And some of the folks I most enjoy talking to are those who have served their country. I am of the generation born during the Viet Nam War so I never knew the draft or any of the repercussions. Whether I have my camera or not (which is quite rare), I always say "Thank You" no matter their service, conflict or cause. To put yourself in harm's way for your country is a staggering thought for me. But Eddie did. And still can't get some of the images out of his head. I simply cannot imagine what he and countless others experienced. But I listen to them; and take in some laughter but far more of what I take in is chilling and haunting.
What I can do, in exchange for their sharing their time with me, is take pictures of them (not like the one below) for their families and their grandchildren. 

And, I always say "thank you"

No comments:

Post a Comment